Make Sure you have Photo ID for the General Election

Date Released - 20/06/2024

YOU’LL need to show photo identification (ID) to vote at a polling station in the general election on Thursday 4 July.

You may already have something that is acceptable. You can use any of the following:

• Passport.

• Driving licence (including provisional licence).

• Blue badge.

• Certain concessionary travel cards.

• Identity card with PASS mark (Proof of Age Standards Scheme).

• Biometric immigration document.

• Defence identity card.

• Certain national identity cards.

You will only need to show one form of photo ID. It needs to be the original version and not a photocopy. The name on your ID must be the same name you used to register to vote.

For more information, including the full list of accepted forms of photo ID, visit or call their helpline on 0800 328 0280.

If you don’t already have an accepted form of photo ID, or you’re not sure whether your photo ID still looks like you, you can apply for a free voter ID document, known as a voter authority certificate. You can apply for this at

Alternatively, you can complete a paper application form and send it to the electoral registration officer at Tameside Council.

If you need any help in applying for a voter authority certificate or want to request an application form, contact your the electoral registration officer at